Dr. Umit Karabiyik
Ph.D., Florida State University
Office: AB1 212E
Phone: (936) 294-4785
Dr. K (Karabiyik) earned his B.S. degree in Computer Systems Teaching from Sakarya University, Turkey, in 2006. He received his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science from Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, in 2010 and 2015 respectively. He joined the Department of Computer Science at Sam Houston State University as an Assistant Professor in August 2015. Dr. K is the creator of AUDIT (Automated Disk Investigation Toolkit), an intelligent assistant for digital forensics, and his current research is supported by U.S. National Institute of Justice and Office Research and Sponsored Programs at SHSU. He is also member of IEEE, ACM, European Alliance for Innovation and Association of Digital Forensics, Security and Law, as well as trainee affiliate of American Academy of Forensic Sciences. Dr. K welcomes any research/project collaboration on the research topics below.
*Digital and Cyber Forensics (Computer Forensics, Mobile Forensics, Social Network Forensics, Internet of Things (IoT) and Industrial Systems Forensics)
*User and Data Privacy in Mobile Environments
*Expert Systems and Knowledge Representation
*Encrypted File Analysis and Cryptography
*Computer and Network Security.
- Karabiyik, U. and Karabiyik, T., "Digital Forensics Tool Selection with Multi-armed Bandit Problem" (2017). 2017 ADFSL Conference on Digital Forensics, Security and Law. 14.
- Karabiyik, U., Canbaz, M.A., Aksoy, A., Tuna, T., Akbas, E., Gonen, B., and Aygun, R., "A Survey of Social Network Forensics", Journal of Digital Forensics, Security and Law: Vol. 11 : No. 4 , Article 8, 2016.
- Tuna, T., Akbas, E., Aksoy, A., Canbaz, M.A., Karabiyik, U., Gonen, B., and Aygun, R., "User characterization for online social networks", Social Network Analysis and Mining, 6(1):104, 2016.
- Karabiyik, U. and Aggarwal, S., 2016, April. "Model of hierarchical disk investigation". In 2016 4th International Symposium on Digital Forensic and Security (ISDFS) (pp. 84-88). IEEE. (BEST PAPER AWARD)
- Karabiyik, U. and Aggarwal, S., "Advanced Automated Disk Investigation Toolkit", Advances in Digital Forensics XII, G. Peterson and S. Shenoi (Eds.), Springer, Heidelberg, 2016. (ISBN: 978-3-319-46278-3)
- Sablatura, J. and Karabiyik, U., 2016, April. "The forensic effectiveness of virtual disk sanitization". In 2016 4th International Symposium on Digital Forensic and Security (ISDFS) (pp. 126-131). IEEE.
- Houshmand, S., Aggarwal, A., and Karabiyik, U., "Identifying passwords stored on disk", Advances in Digital Forensics XI, G. Peterson and S. Shenoi (Eds.), Springer, Heidelberg, 2015. (ISBN: 978-3-319-24122-7)
- Karabiyik, U. and Aggarwal, S., "AUDIT: Automated Disk Investigation Toolkit", Journal of Digital Forensics, Security and Law (JDFSL), 9(2):129-144, 2014.
Sablatura, J. and Karabiyik, U. Pokémon GO Forensics: An Android Application Analysis. Information 2017, 8, 71
- Targeted Forensic Data Extraction from Mobile Devices, National Institute of Justice, Grant Award Number: 2016-MU-CX-K003 (Total Funding: $541,232, Dr.K’s share as Co-PI: $113,018), January 2017 - December 2018
- Digital Forensics Tools Raking with Multi-armed Bandit Problem, Faculty Research Grant, SHSU ($5,000), June-September 2016