Dr. Bing Zhou
Associate Professor and Chair
Dr. Zhou has been actively teaching and training students in computer science and cybersecurity for more than 10 years, advising and mentoring over 60 students at all levels. She published several research papers with students. Several of her former master’s students have joined Ph.D. programs. She was recognized with the Faculty and Student Team Awards from the Center for Enhancing Undergraduate Research Experiences and Creative Activities (EURECA) of SHSU in 2016 and 2018. Zhou is also an impactful scholar in the professional community, four of her journal articles are recognized as the top 1% highly cited papers by the Web of Science. Her research interests include Cybersecurity, Database Forensics, Soft Computing, and Data Mining. She has served on the TPC for several highly ranked conferences including AAAI and IJCAI. She has also served as an external reviewer of ABET accredited programs for peer institutions.
- PhD in Computer Science, University of Regina, Canada
- Digital Forensics
- Soft Computing
- Data Mining
- 2018-present, Associate Professor
- 2012-2018, Assistant Professor
Honors and Awards
- Faculty and Student Team (FAST) Awards from Center for Enhancing Undergraduate Research Experiences and Creative Activities (EURECA, SHSU), Summer 2018
- Best Paper Award: 2016 International Joint Conference on Rough Sets (IJCRS)
- Faculty and Student Team (FAST) Awards from: Center for Enhancing Undergraduate Research Experiences and Creative Activities (EURECA, SHSU), Summer 2016
- Four of my journal articles are recognized as the top 1% highly cited papers by Web of Science
- Best Paper Award: 2015 International Joint Conference on Rough Sets (IJCRS: RSKT - RSFDGrC)
- Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarships - Doctoral Program (CGS D: $35,000 a year for three years)
- SHSU PI, Accelerating Credentials of Purpose and Value Grant Program (consortium with TSU), $1.45M (2022, awarded from THECB), PI: Lawrence Fulton (Texas State University)
- PI, Accelerating Credentials of Purpose and Value Grant Program (SHSU), $331,720 (2022, awarded from THECB), co-PI: Hyuk Cho
- PI, Engaging Spaces Application to Develop an Active Learning Space, $150,000 (2021, awarded from Engaging Space (SHSU)), co-PI, Li-Jen Lester
- PI, Applying Soft Computing to Digital Forensic Evidence Analysis, $15,000 (2020, awarded from Pilot Studies for Future Funding Program from Office of Research Administration (SHSU))
- PI, Robust Sensor Data Fusion through Adaptive Threshold Learning, $15,000, (2016, awarded from Enhancement Research Grant (ERG) from Office of Research Administration (SHSU)), co-PI: Hyuk Cho
- Weeks, D., Zhou, B. Physical security design of a digital forensic lab. International Journal of Electronic Security and Digital Forensics. pp. 418-444, 2021.
- Zhou, B., He, Y. Fast circle detection using spatial decomposition of Hough transform. International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence. DOI:10.1142/S0218001417550060. 2017.
- Yao, Y.Y., Zhou, B. Two Bayesian approaches to rough sets. European Journal of Operational Research, 251(3): 904-917. 2016.
- Zhou, B. Yao, Y.Y. and Luo, J.G. Cost-sensitive three-way email spam filtering. Journal of Intelligent Information Systems. 42(1): 19-45. 2014.
- Zhou, B. Multi-class decision-theoretic rough sets. International Journal of Approximate Reasoning. 55(1): 211-224. 2014.